Ads 468x60px

Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2009

It's Aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!!




Ever create a "frankendinner"? Just tossing ingredients together, somewhat at random, to create an edible something. Tonight it was a stir fry mushroom gravy dish. I came across a good deal of mushrooms, so naturally thought of mushroom gravy, a rich, dark expression of a beef and mushroom union. But I had planned and prepared for stir fry....

Letting my nose guide me, I just dove in. I had an idea that trying to combine stir fry and mushroom gravy. Sautee'd diced mushrooms and garlic in butter, and added flour to brown as usual. Mixed up some beef broth with about a quarter bottle of dark beer, dehydrated onion, and a good deal of pepper. After a moment pause, a hit of Worcestershire went in too.

In went the broth mixture. Simmering away, I tasted it and thought it needed..... something. Not quite sure what. That is when I added a bit of fish sauce, 8oz of tomato sauce, ginger, dry mustard, and chinese 5 spice powder in search of my flavour.

I'm sitting here eating it over some veggies and steak strips with rice, Elliot has given it two thumbs up, and for once I am recording approximately what the heck I accidentally did :) This seems like it would be equally good over rice, egg noodles, or potatoes. Gotta love playing with your ingredients, you never know when you will come up with something great!

0 comments: