Ads 468x60px

Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Carnitas!

My mom used to make this a few times a year when I was little, and I just LOVE it! My husband also asks for it if it's been awhile since I've made any. Just trust me on the orange juice concentrate, that is what makes this dish unique and tasty. You can serve this on tortillas with rice and beans on the side, in tacos, in burritos, or just straight out of the fridge late at night. The nice thing about this recipe is that the cut of pork doesn't matter, just use whatever is on sale. I've used shoulder ("butt") roast, loin, and cut up picnic roast with great results.

You will need:

  • 3 lbs pork roast
  • 1 12-oz. container orange juice concentrate
  • 1 yellow or white onion (small or large it doesn't matter)
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 2 tbs. dried oregano (make sure it smells nice and strong! dusty smell=dusty taste)
  • salt and pepper to taste
roughly chop the onion
crush or dice the garlic
season the pork roast with salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic
place half of the onion in the bottom of a crock pot
then place the pork in the crock
top with the remaining onion, and 2/3 to 3/4 of the orange juice concentrate
set on low for 8-12 hours (or overnight)
remove the roast, and allow to cool slightly
shred the roast, and place in a skillet with 1/4 cup of the drippings, remaining orange juice concentrate, and salsa
simmer about 30 minutes
*you can simmer it longer if the mixture is too watery




First I assemble my ingredients (Aren't those salt and pepper shakers cute? They were a Christmas present from my Sister-in-law)





I don't want to cook the pork for the usual 10 hours, so I cut it up a bit




Tossing the roast pieces with the garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano



Into the crock we go! Half of the onions are on the bottom, half on top, and the OJ over everything




... After 6 hours





This is the final product!

0 comments: