Ads 468x60px

Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

... Then Somehow This Apron Resulted...




I don't know WHAT possessed me to try it, but I wanted a bib apron, and I didn't want to follow a pattern. Have I mentioned that I have rarely sewn in my life?! But, somehow I made this thing. Even took pics along the way!

First, I took a piece of an old soda box (yep, I like Shasta cola!) and held it up to me and trimmed it up until it was approximatly the size I wanted it. I know the sides aren't straight, but thanks to the very regular pattern of dots on my material, I just used those as a cutting/folding/gluing/sewing guide.


Then, I just held up another piece of the fabric to myself and marked (with a marker lol) how wide and how long I wanted the skirt part, adding an inch or two for seams.

Then, I constructed pockets. All I did was cut out a square about the size I wanted the pocket and hemmed all sides. On the big front pocket, I added some bias tape. The little pocket up on the bib of the apron is to hold my wedding ring, as I always find myself removing it to do chores because I am super paranoid about losing the stone, knowing that I am not always the most careful of people with my hands (I have scars to prove it too lol!).


I made the little towel holder because I am ever trying to "attach" a rag to myself to wipe my hands on and just to have on me for little cleanups. It is simply a hemmed up rectangle of fabric.

After hemming all my little squares and rectangles of fabric, it was construction time. I attached all the pockets first, followed by the bias tape for the ties. Finally, I just laid the skirt of the apron over the bib, glued so that everything would stay straight (without glue it seems I can't do an even seam to save my life!), and sewed. All told the project took me about 2 hours of actual work (not counting dry time for the glue)



0 comments: